"Letter To Lorenzo" by Amanda Prantera

A sort of mystery/thriller novel but not in the traditional sense, first due to the subject matter and secondly, not written like formulaic genre fiction either.  This novel lies somewhere in between.  A story about a woman who is awoken one night to discover her husband has been killed in a bombing.  Due to his left wing views, it is immediately assumed that he had been transporting explosives for the Red Brigades, the Italian terrorist organization most active in the 1970s.

She is pursued by a sinister magistrate, who is convinced not only over her husband’s involvement but feels she is involved as well.  She is convinced that the bombing was done by a Neo-Fascist group in order to place the blame on the left-wing sympathizers.  She fights for not only her husband’s innocence, but her own as well.  There in lies the mystery/thriller element to this story.

I can’t say I enjoyed this all that much.  Sometimes it reads  as if one is watching Lifetime movie.  Although the subject matter and this period of Italian history interests me very much, one is much better off reading a non-fiction book about the same era.  The writing isn’t bad but it just didn’t grab me in the way I had hoped.  A quick read, those who enjoy a fast paced thriller may find some enjoyment here.  It just didn’t do it for me.
Source: http://www.juliangallo66.blogspot.com