"Outer Dark" by Cormac McCarthy

Fucking brilliant.  What else can I say?  This novel positively blew my mind.  There are some similarities between this and his last novel “The Road” but stylistically it is very different.  McCarthy paints a very very bleak and dark world here, even more so than his last novel to date.  The story here is very simple but it’s what is lying underneath that makes this the brilliant novel that it is.  Heavily existential with many allusions to Greek myth and the Bible, and its “Faulkner-esque” prose is nothing short of astonishing.  There is a lot going on here and one will have to be a little bit on their toes to get it all.  Simply one of the most dark and disturbing novels I have read in a long time and it quickly shot into my top 10 as soon as I finished it, leaving me speechless in the process.

This is one true example of how great a work of fiction can be - and also, as one who writes himself, how it can easily make one feel truly inadequate.  But we all can’t be Cormac McCarthy.  I am beginning to believe what a lot of critics have been saying for a long time now (although I rarely rely on any critic’s opinion):  Cormac McCarthy is truly one of, if not the best, of America’s living novelists.  If you are only familiar with his later material (as I was until I read this) do yourself a favor and read this.  It will leave you speechless.

Source: http://www.juliangallo66.blogspot.com